Skip to content

Search Results for

11-20 of 320

1938 St Francis Sign

Timeline

1938

Saint Francis Memorial Hospital is restructured as a not-for-profit organization.

Timeline

2005

The Foundation provides funding to build and expand the Hospital’s acclaimed Spine Center, increasing access and outcomes for a practice model targeting chronic pain and back relief.

Child smiling

Timeline

1997

Rally Family Visitation Services are started at the Hospital. The Foundation provides annual funding to this innovative supervised visitation program serving more than 900 Bay Area children and their parents each year.

Founders of SFMH

Timeline

1905

Saint Francis Hospital is founded as a for-profit Hospital by five prominent San Francisco physicians: Drs. John Gallwey, Frank Ainsworth, Walter Coffey, M.O. Austin, and W. I. Terry. The original five-story, 50-bed Saint Francis Hospital opens in the Mission District in August and quickly becomes the preeminent hospital for families throughout San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin counties. The facility includes a Nursing School with onsite dormitories, along with the latest surgical equipment and patient amenities.

CT Scanner

Timeline

2002

The Foundation provides $1.9 million for an updated a state-of-the art CT Scanner which provides faster, more efficient 3-D imaging and fluoroscopic techniques.

SFF 1911

Timeline

1911

The new Saint Francis Hospital opens at its present location at Hyde and Bush streets in the heart of San Francisco. The founders restructure as a not-for-profit and add “Memorial” to the name.

Newly decorated room 1953

Timeline

1958

The Hospital builds the East Wing on Bush Street, adding facilities for an in-patient psychiatric unit and devoting space for the renowned Bothin Burn Center, today the largest dedicated burn center in Northern California serving more than 500 patients each year.

Timeline

1984

The Foundation embarks on the Project 84 capital campaign, ultimately raising more than $3.5 million for Hospital renovations and improvements. The campaign results in new surgical pre- and post-operative care areas, a larger Bothin Burn Center, and the new Psychiatric Unit.

Timeline

1990

The Saint Francis Oncology Center opens, providing cancer care services incorporating Cyberknife technology, Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy, Advanced Imaging Simulation and Orthovoltage Radiotherapy.

SFF Lobby

Timeline

1994

The Foundation oversees the donation by SFMH physicians and brothers Ben and Jess Shenson of 48 original oil paintings by renowned California artist Theodore Wores. The artworks are placed on public view in the Drs. Ben and Jess Shenson Memorial Gallery in the Perrotti Lobby.